Monday, July 20, 2009

Danelle Kabush

I do not know very much about you, so I will start from scratch. My mentor told me not to research people before you interview them. "It limits your mind" he says. So here it goes.


Danelle on the 'Georgetown' climb at the Canmore Nordic Center.


1. What types of races do you do, and who do you race for?

My main focus is Xterra racing with some occasional mtb races (off-road triathlons that consist of 1500m swim, 30km mtb, and 10km run). I race for the Luna Pro Team


2. Where do you reside, and where did you grow up?

I live in Calgary, Alberta and I grew up in Courtenay, BC


3. One of your greatest accomplishments?

Coming 2nd at last year's (2008) Xterra World Championship after taking 2007 off to have my daughter


4. Your toughest race?

The Northeast Xterra Cup I just completed on July 12th because the swim was cold, the mtb was almost a 2h uphill mudbog and the run was straight up and down the ski slopes of Sugarbush through mud and leg zapping wet grass.


5. If you could go back and change anything would you?

And if so what would you change? I wouldn't change much. I've been fortunate to enjoy being a competitive athlete as a runner through my undergraduate degree, then as a mountain bike racer for 5 years before switching to Xterra, all while enjoying a good balance with school, work, and starting a family


6. What is your pre-race meal?

Oatmeal, toast, egg, and coffee


7. What inspires you to go out and make yourself suffer through a race? (When taking photos I hear riders asking themselves, "why am I doing this to myself?")

Because I have the support to train to the level I need to and the opportunity to compete. I know I won't be racing at the level I am for too many more years, so I try and get the most out of myself in every race


8. What do you do in the winter for training?

I cross-country ski, swim, run, and ride my trainer or rollers indoors


9. Have you ever done any stage races before?

No


10. Your toughest race? And why?

See question 4



11. In your mind who is the best female mountain bike racer of all time? (Alison Sydor in my book)

I agree as far as longevity or career!


12. What do you do in the spare time that you do have?

Take my daughter to the park, bake cookies, catch up with friends, read


13. Which is the toughest mountain bike course?

That's a tough one...I think Canmore is up there for the effort needed in the climbs and the focus to ride the descents quick



14. What are your strong points, and weak points in mountain bike racing?

Strength is climbing, weakness is probably cornering fast


15. I notice that Geoff Kabush (brother) is a very smooth rider, do you take after him with this skill?

I like to think I'm smooth for sure, but not as fast by any means!


16. If you could change anything in mountain bike racing, what would it be? (for me it would be sleeveless jerseys allowed in UCI rules)

Maybe keep the races a little longer, 1h30 for women is getting to be more of a sprint.


17. What do you do when you are not racing or training? (work, children, etc.)

I'm being a mom and I work as a mental training consultant at the Canadian Sport Centre in Calgary


18. Which Epic bike race would you like to do next year? Who would be your partner if you had one?

I'd love to do the BC Bike race one year with my husband


19. If you could do humanitarian work, where would you do it?

I would like to help underprivileged children get involved in sport, there are some great organizations out there like Right to Play that would be fun to get involved with



20. What are your goals for the rest of the season, and next season?

My goals are to finish top three at the Xterra National and World Championships

No comments: